This image features the Island Store after 'Ding' Darling remodeled it. The building was formerly Mrs. Miller's two story boarding house. J.N. 'Ding' Darling was a renowned editorial cartoonist who advocated conservation of the nation's natural resources, regularly 'wintered' at 'Tween Waters Inn.
Island Store After It Was Remodeled
Gore Hotel-Early 1900s
This image features The Gore Hotel with the Post Office addition in the front, circa early 1900s. Mrs. Fayrum is pictured the first in line. This was the Gore residence on Captiva. Owners Alvin and Hattie Gore ran a tourist camp there called Camp Gore. Hattie Gore was Captiva's second postmistress. Gore Lane is thought to be named after them.
Andy Rosse's Dock
This image was painted by Ken Eberts, an artist who was an occassional vistor to the islands and had a passion for antique cars. He painted this watercolor interpretation of Andy Rosse's Dock with a 1923 Ford Model T on the dock.
South Seas Plantation In The 1960s
This image is an aerial view of the harbor area of South Seas Plantation in the 1960s, under the management of the Captiva Island Company, run by Wally Watts (an RCA executive) and Paul Stahlin (a Captiva resident).