The Ark“The Ark” was originally a houseboat. It was brought up on shore by Captain McFarland. There are additions on the right and left, while the door and three windows are the original houseboat. It was owned by Sam and Francis Anderson of Richmond , VA and later by George and Louise Tuttle.
Miss Gould’s Class at Captiva School House
In 1901 William Herbert Binder, the first homesteader, donated this portion of land for construction of a one-room schoolhouse; attended by students from Captiva, Buck Key, and Sanibel. The building is now the Captiva Chapel by the Sea, which in 2013 was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
James and Signe Wightman
James and Signe Wightman in the 1920’s. The eventual owners of the Gulf View Inn, now the Mucky Duck.
Early Tarpon Fishing on Captiva
This image features "Buzz" (F. Bowman) Price, his daughter, Dorothy Price (Dottie Wakefield) and Captain Stran after catching a huge tarpon in the early 1900's. Price and his wife, Grace, established 'Tween Waters Inn in 1931. Captain Stran was a resident fishing guide on the island. His wife, Clara Stran, owned a gift shop on Captiva.
Cleon and Ray Singleton
The Singletons were owners/operators of the mailboat Santiva from 1936-1952. The captain was fined 3-days pay if the boat was late. In all its years the “Santiva” missed just a handful of trips due to hurricanes.
Andy's Dock Pre-40s
Andy Rosse's dock in a pre-1940s photo. Andy's dock was located on the current site of McCarthy's Marina at the end of the street now named for the colorful Mr. Rosse.