In this photograph, circa early 1900's, President Theodore Roosevelt (fourth from left) on a visit to the Snyder School during his fishing expedition to Captiva for devil fish.
Teddy Roosevelt At Snyder School
Cottages At 'Tween Waters
This image is the main cottage at 'Tween Waters in the 1930s. Grace price and her husband F. Bowman Price built the first cottage at 'Tween Waters Inn in 1931. They came to the island with their infant daughter Dorothy because of Bowman's poor health.
McCaul's Gift Shop
The original building which eventually housed McCaul's gift shop was reportedly built by Reimund “Black Bart” Holzhey and then sold to islander Ina Watson. A postcard image of the gift shop from 1973 shows the exterior of the building at ground-level. The building was eventually elevated with its distinctive long ramp and became know as the Tree House Gift Shop. The building is still standing as of June 2020 and is located just west of the Captiva post office on the left side of the road leading to Alison Hagerup beach park.
Andy's Dock Pre-40s
Andy Rosse's dock in a pre-1940s photo. Andy's dock was located on the current site of McCarthy's Marina at the end of the street now named for the colorful Mr. Rosse.
Tropical Storm Bob-July 1985
Photo of the Mucky Duck parking lot at the height of Tropical Storm Bob in July of 1985. Bob hit the southwest Florida Gulf coast as a tropical storm before turning north and intensifying as a Category 1 Hurricane.
Old & New Blind Pass Bridges 1955
This image feature the new replacing the old. The old wooden Blind Pass bridge between Sanibel and Captiva is quite a contrast with the new concrete bridge. In this photo from 1955 the new bridge is completed with exception for the approaches which will be pumped in by Gene Sander of Sander Yard.