The Plantation House at South Seas Plantation (date unknown).
The Plantation House
Bowman and Dorothy "Dottie" PriceIn 1924, Bowman and Grace Price purchased property on Captiva from John R. Dickey. This property included a small cottage belonging to the Dickey children’s tutor, Reba Fitzpatrick. Then they built a cottage towards the Gulf to be just a little guest cottage for family and friends. Originally known as “Price’s Cottages,” it took the name ‘Tween Waters Inn at the suggestion of conservationist/cartoonist J.N. “Ding” Darling who, along with his wife Penny, first stayed at the inn in March 1936.
Shuffleboard at Fisherman's Lodge
Emma Alt (on right) and friend playing shuffleboard on the Fisherman's Lodge court (pre 1940).
The Dickey Hotel
This image is the Dickey Hotel, built in 1911. The hotel was leased by the Snyder School For Boys and burned down in 1935. Belton Johnson built his first house on the site after the hotel burned down.
Bill Shannon And His Frond House
In this image from the early 1950s, Bill Shannon is in front of his palm frond house. He and his wife, Mae, opened the Sunshine Cafe on Palm Avenue (currently Andy Rosse Lane) on Captiva in 1951.
Not Your Ordinary Watchdog
This is an image of Ina Watson on Captiva Island restraining one of her "watchdog" alligators that she caught. Ina Watson and her son Paul maintained a camp site on Chadwick's South Seas Plantation. View More On This Subject