This image is Andy's Dock, showing the pilings from Randall's Dock on the left. Randall's Dock dates back to to the early 1900's, when it was the original Captiva ferry dock. In the 40's, 50's and 60's Andy's Rosse and his wife, Dessa, ran the dock and colorful waterfront saloon.
Andy's Dock & Randall's Dock
Andy Rosse's Dock
This image was painted by Ken Eberts, an artist who was an occassional vistor to the islands and had a passion for antique cars. He painted this watercolor interpretation of Andy Rosse's Dock with a 1923 Ford Model T on the dock.
Hattie Brainerd And Island Children
This is an image, circa early 1900s, of Hattie Brainerd (left) with daughter-in-law Mae Brainerd, and several island children that Hattie perhaps delivered. Hattie Brainerd, who later married Alvin Gore, was the postmistress on Captiva for over 35 years.
Herbert & Hattie Brainerd
This photo is Herbert and Hattie Brainerd by a shell fountain near the Gore Hotel on Captiva. The post office was located at the front of the hotel, and Hattie was the second postmistress on Captiva.
Elias Knight Carter Home
This image is the Elias Knight Carter home on Captiva, location unknown. Elias Carter was a descendent of George Washington Carter, one of the first homesteaders on Captiva. The Carters farmed land on the north end of Captiva from 1898 to the early 1900s, property that is now the site of South Seas Island Resort.
George Washington Carter & Elizabeth Carter
This is an image of George Washington Carter and Elizabeth Carter. He was a Civil War veteran from Georgia and one of the first homesteaders on Captiva. They had five children, and primarily fished for a living. In addition, they planted vegetables and a grapefruit grove on their 160 acres at the north end of Captiva.