This photo is Bill Stevens at his fish house taken by locally renowned photographer Charlie McCullough in 1949. Bill Stevens worked for the Punta Gorda Fish Company. The local fisherman would bring their catch to him and he would put them on ice and await the company's fish boat to come to collect the fish.
Bill Stevens Fish House
First Schoolhouse On Captiva
This image is the first schoolhouse on Captiva, established in 1901 by William Herbert Binder. The building is now the Captiva Chapel by the Sea. The school was attended by students who lived on both Captiva and Sanibel Island.
David Wightman Harvesting Raccoons
David Wightman is pictured harvesting raccoons on Captiva in 1919. The Wightman family arrived on the islands in 1917.
John Morris And Mule-Mail Pick Up
In this image from the early 1900s, John Morris and his mule picked up mail and passengers from Randall’s Dock on Captiva. Morris was a long time island resident and lived where Jensen’s twin Palm Marina & Cottages is located.
Mrs. C.B. Chadwick
This is image features Mrs. C.B. Chadwick, family and friends near one of their cottages at South Seas Plantation, sometime after 1923.
Andy's Dock & Randall's Dock
This image is Andy's Dock, showing the pilings from Randall's Dock on the left. Randall's Dock dates back to to the early 1900's, when it was the original Captiva ferry dock. In the 40's, 50's and 60's Andy's Rosse and his wife, Dessa, ran the dock and colorful waterfront saloon.